- 8 small beets (2.5lb total)
- 2 TB chopped dill
- 1 1/2 TB red wine vinegar
- 1 TB EVOO
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/3 cup Coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Preheat an oven to 375°F.
2. Remove the beet greens, if attached, leaving about 1 inch of stem attached to the beets; reserve the greens for another use. Place the beets in a baking dish and cover with water by about 1/4 inch. Cover the dish tightly and bake until the beets can be easily pierced with a knife, about 45 minutes or more, depending on the size of the beets.
3. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and cut into thin slices. Place the beets in a medium bowl, add the 1 1/2 Tbs. vinegar and toss together gently. Let stand for 30 minutes.
4. Add the olive oil, dill, garlic and salt, stirring gently so the slices don’t break. Taste and add more vinegar, if needed. Stir in the walnuts and serve. Serves 4.