– 2 medium eggplants, stems trimmed & halved lengthwise
– 3 links Italian Chicken Sausage, casings removed
– 1/2 small onion, finely diced
– 2 cloves garlic, crushed
– 1 1/3 cups crushed tomates
– 5 basil leaves, chopped (plus more for garnish)
– S&P to taste
-1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella (available at the farm)
-4 tsp grated Pecorino Romano
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
3.Hollow out the flesh of the eggplant to create a boat using a melon baller or small knife, leaving a 1/2 inch of the skin all around to create a shell.
￼4. Roughly chop the scooped out egg- plant flesh.
5. Drop the eggplant into the boiling
water and cook 3 minutes (poking it with a spoon so they stay submerged). Remove with a slotted spoon and set
them on paper towels on the counter.
6. Meanwhile, brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat,
breaking the meat up while it cooks into smaller pieces. Add the onions and
garlic and cook on a med-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add 1 cup chopped egg- plant and cook about 2-3 minutes. Add 1 cup crushed tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil.
7. Pour 1/3 cup of crushed tomatoes on the bottom of a 9 X 12 baking dish and place the eggplant boats on top. Season
the eggplant with the salt and divide the sausage and sauce evenly among the 4 eggplant boats.
￼￼8. Top each with 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon of Pecorino Romano cheese. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes until cheese is melted and eggplant is cooked through.
Then enjoy this delicious and healthy dinner!