By our Cranford famous Chef Michele!
Wilted Escarole Salad Ingredients:
- 1⁄2 loaf any style bread (about 8 ounces), crust removed, cut into 1″ pieces (about 5 cups)
- 10 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1–2 anchovy fillets packed in oil
- 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons (or more) white balsamic vinegar
- 1 large head escarole, outer leaves removed, inner leaves torn into large pieces
Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss bread and 5 tablespoons oil in a large bowl. Spread on a large baking sheet, evenly; season with salt and pepper. Toss the Bread occasionally, until crisp on the outside but still chewy in the center, 10–15 minutes. Let croutons cool.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 5 tablespoons oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 2 minutes. Add anchovies and, using a spoon, mash into oil. Add red pepper flakes and remove skillet from heat. Add vinegar, scraping up any bits; season vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
Just before serving, toss escarole, croutons and warm vinaigrette in a large bowl until escarole is slightly wilted; season with salt, pepper, and more vinegar, if desired.